Greetings & Salutations fellow stargazers!
Last night I was blessed with clear skies and a wonderful view of the September full moon -- also known as the Harvest Moon here in North America.
This year the full Harvest Moon was positioned close to the ringed planet, Saturn -- the second largest planet in our Solar System.
At present Saturn, the 6th planet of our Solar System, is about 785 million miles (or 1.26 billion kilometers, or 8.44 Astronomical Units) away from our Earth.
Saturn appears extra bright and close as its currently approaching its yearly opposition with Earth which will occur on Sunday, October 4, 2026.
The 8th planet of our Solar System, Neptune, reached its opposition to Earth in its orbit around the Sun this evening at approximately 2.7 billion miles (or 4.3 billion km, or 28.9 AU) from our planet.
Neptune was also positioned closely with Saturn and the Harvest Moon in the night sky, in a sort of elongated triangle.
Unfortunately the next to the last planet in our Solar System (Pluto is still a planet!) was still too far away to photograph, though I did point out where it would be located in my photograph below.
As y'all can see from my cover photo and below, I was able to capture a couple of really great shots of the Harvest Moon and Saturn through the tree in my front yard, framing our lovely Luna in a halo of early fall leaves.
I hope y'all enjoyed my photos, and I hope to have more soon.
Sunday, September 27, 2026
Night Sky Photography -- 09-26-2026 -- The Full Harvest Moon & Saturn With Neptune In Opposition
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment