Saturday, March 10, 2018

How I Got An Anime-Con Quickie -- A Tale Of My Existence


How I Got An Anime-Con Quickie  
(Or, How Kilts Can Apparently Be Chick Magnets)
A Tale Of My Existence

By: C.W. Roden 


I've seriously thought several times about actually posting this story; but even a couple of months after the event took place, I find my mind still dealing with the emotional and internal repercussions of what had to be one of the most surreal experiences of my life to date. I figured that discussing it here might serve the dual purpose of helping me sort my thoughts on the situation, and giving the readers of this blog a somewhat interesting true story of a very personal experience I went through recently.

To put it bluntly: this blogger got a quickie at Ichibancon 9, the anime convention I mentioned in a previous blog post.

Now first of all, I'm not telling any of y'all this story to brag. If anything I am telling y'all because, well, this was a somewhat new experience for me. It's like something you read about in novels, or see in movies, or on cable television; but never really expect to happen to you in real life.

Well, at least I didn't.

Before I continue, this blogger would like to issue a fair WARNING to people with delicate sensibilities regarding the subject of sex and sexuality.
If you want to read a somewhat PG-13 rated story and commentary on how this blogger deals with these subject of a personal level, then continue after this warning. If however you are an easily offended snowflake who is unable to handle the subjects with any reasonable degree of maturity, I'd advise you to ignore this post and turn back now. 

Okay, the next point I need to clarify is that I am certainly no stranger to having one night stands, or quickies -- far from it.

Again not to brag, but in my youth I was a somewhat good looking -- if very socially awkward and insecure kid -- who was fortunate enough to have had his first time at age 17 (the night of my birthday no less!) with an older and somewhat more experienced 20 year-old young woman who took the time over the course of a summer month to teach me how to make love properly.


Later on the same year, thanks to a former friend of my sister's that made a late-night visit to my room during a sleepover, I garnered kinda an underground reputation in my high school as someone who didn't "kiss and tell" -- although I must admit truthfully that (
aside from some late-night visits on a couple of weekends my junior and senior years, and one classmate I ditched my last two class periods with on the last month of my senior year) there is very little to tell.

In my young adult years, from my brief time in the US Navy to my late twenties and early thirties, I've had more than a few one night stands -- a couple of them slightly older than me. I guess I have a thing for mature lovers, although I have been with partners a few years younger than me more than once as I got older.


Certainly I have a had a few steady girlfriends and significant others in my time. I was actually engaged to marry for a brief time, though that fizzled out badly as she turned out to be a particular abusive and controlling individual. I also had one ex-girlfriend who became a bit obsessive over me, and started messing with my family -- that was until my sister, Olivia, managed to scare her off once and for all. How did she do it? I don't know and I am told I don't wanna know.

All of these are few and far between encounters though. This is largely because I do not go to nightclubs or bars. Never felt I needed to be drunk, or high, in order to have fun. I also tend to have trouble in noisy places due to my autism issues, so I don't go to loud parties or huge social gatherings. I also don't care to be around people who smoke either. Also while I enjoy sex like any other active American male, I don't feel the need to have it every single day or night, so I'm not constantly on the prowl for it. 

Social awkwardness is also still a big thing with me. I have Asperger's and something of a huge introvert, so instigating in conversations or making friends has never been a strong point of mine. Not to go all MGTOW on you guys, but these days when it comes to hookups its always best to be extremely cautious. Usually whenever someone is interested in hooking up, I tend to let the other person make the first move, rather than push the issue myself.

Finally, I always insist on practicing safe sex. Even after having had a vasectomy when I was 30 and eliminated the fear of an accidental pregnancy for the most part, having unprotected sex of any kind always made me feel uneasy. Not just the fear of STDs, or the idea of becoming an urban legend like the girl (or guy) who woke up to the mirror message: Welcome to the wonderful world of HIV -- though I confess those are big factors.

Now that you know those little details about your favorite blogger (probably a lot more than you ever really wanted to know, I'm sure) then perhaps you will be better able to understand and appreciate how the following true story and surreal experience made me feel at the time, and how I continue to examine it a couple of months after the fact.


The Hookup

If y'all recall from my blog post back in January, Ichibancon 9, was being held at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Concord, North Carolina and it was my first trip to an anime convention.

I attended the event wearing my Ulster Irish Tartan Kilt and Ghost In The Shell t-shirt. I decided to wear my kilt just because it was different and because, well, I like to wear it in public whenever I can.

Considering the number of outstanding anime cosplayers and Fursuiters attending the event, I didn't feel totally out of place at all. Geeks and nerds are kinda my people, next to my fellow Southerners. The fact that just about every one of these people were both anime fans and fellow Southerners made me feel even more at home.

I actually got several complements from a couple of vendors on my kilt and how it looked on me. One person who was wearing a black leather and metal studded kilt in what was some kind of punk goth look gave me a smile, pointed at me and said, "Duuuude!" I responded in kind.

For the record, me and the Goth guy were not the only guys wearing non-traditional men's wear. Several younger guys were there doing the gender-bender cosplay thing, wearing girl's skirts and costumes with their female friends wearing the male uniforms and outfits. Thankfully even at 41, I can honestly say I looked much better in my kilt than those dudes did in their outfits....okay maybe two of them pulled it off, but I still look better in mine!

At one point while I was looking at the display items, I became aware that I was being scrutinized by a group of twenty-something girls standing nearby. The three of them were talking in hushed voices, and with the noise on the floor around me I couldn't have made out anything someone who wasn't right up next to me was saying anyhow. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed that they were all female cosplayers and wore the three-day passes for the whole convention and not just a one-day pass like I had.


I was admiring some posters -- especially this one Cowboy Bebop poster that I would buy and now hangs on the wall of my computer room -- when one of the women came over to me. She was a Sailor Moon cosplayer (one of about a dozen or so at the convention that day) and while not exactly super skinny, she wasn't overweight either, kinda somewhere in the middle. Normal sized. She also wore a blonde wig, though I figured from her brown eyes that her hair color was probably a darker shade beneath. She pulled off the outfit and the look pretty well I thought.

Also unlike some of the others, she was not attempting to pass herself off as younger, more like a mature mid-20ish version of the anime superhero rather than the 14-15 year old goofy teenage dingbat her character usually comes off as in the series.

After a polite exchange of greetings, she said to me, "Um, can I ask you something. Me and my friends wanted to know?"

"Um sure,"
I responded curiously.

"Well, I just curious, what do you wear under your kilt?" She seemed to kinda laugh with her eyes and blush slightly as she asked me the question.


Okay, this is actually not the first time someone has asked me that particular question whenever I go around sporting the ole Ulster Red. So I always have a different response to the question that kinda leaves the answer disambiguous. 

I started to go with the classic line: Nothing is worn under the kilt, everything down there works just fine! But instead judging from the giggles from her friends, I couldn't help being reminded of the scene from the cult classic 80s film Porky's when a girl asked a guy why they called him Meat, while her friends and his giggled over the question. The situation was remarkably similar.


I gave her a half-smile and asked her, "Would you really wanna know?" After a small nod from her, I leaned in and said quietly in her ear, "Well the thing is, ma'am, good girls don't ask, but bad girls can find out." Then I gave her a wink.


"Wow, I totally love a guy in a kilt!"


The Sailor Moon Girl just let out a huge grin and then went back to her friends laughing and having some sort of quick conversation. I personally found the whole thing humorous and, chuckling to myself, went back to my business. I checked the time on my phone. I had just over an hour or so before one of the guests I came to see would be onstage. I was wondering what else I would do until then, when the Sailor Moon cosplayer girl came back over to me. 


She gave me a smile and then asked me, "Would you like to let me find out, big guy?" 

Now at this point I was suddenly found myself completely out of my depth and had no idea what was going on. Was she messing with me? I glanced over at her friends, a couple of which were grinning in our direction. 

Not really knowing what to say, I just kinda nodded and said, "Uh, yeah, sure." She giggled and then took my left arm and began half-pulling/half-leading me down the hall to the elevators in the middle of the hotel lobby. She pushed the button to the 8th floor and I was alone with her in the elevator. The cosplayer girl looked at me and asked me how old I was. I told her I was probably old enough to be her older brother, and then gave her my age. She just smiled and replied, "Well, you're old enough to know what you are doing."

Still trying to deal with the surreal situation I found myself in I asked her how old she was. Honestly it was hard for me to tell with the costume makeup and blonde wig she was wearing, though I guessed at least mid-20s. She replied that she had just turned 28 the previous month. I remember looking out the elevator's glass wall and down at the courtyard at some of the other attendees eating their lunches. I also remember her bouncing a little on her toes a couple of times in anticipation.

Me, I was nervous as hell.


The rest of the walk from the elevator to the room was a bit of a blur for me, because my mind was racing with all sorts of implications over what was happening and how I was supposed to deal with it. I mean I've heard of stories about things like this, both good ones and bad ones -- especially bad ones where a guy gets drugged or robbed, or worse, accused falsely of assault after the fact.

The room itself was one of those rooms with two large queen-sized beds -- probably her and her friends staying the weekend there -- and it was clearly lived in because of the open soda cans and pizza boxes laying on the table and wall unit; not to mention open luggage and several feminine articles of clothing laying over chairs and on the beds. She offered me an unopened can of Cherry Dr. Pepper, which I took and gulped down half of.

Then she told me to hold on while she cleared off one of the beds -- the one closest to the open window where I could see it was raining outside. I actually looked out and could see my car in the parking lot. Funny how you remember little things like that, even when you are in an unexpected situation? The only light in the room came from an alarm clock and the large open window. The curtains stayed open the entire time -- I mean it isn't like there was anyone but birds to gawk at us.

What I do not remember in any detail is the brief conversation we had while she was undressing in front of me and I started to do the same, aside from asking about safe sex -- which thankfully she was prepared for (a small box of Trojan condoms was in one of the bags she went through). She also carefully took off her long blonde Sailor Moon wig to reveal short, dark-brown hair which she ruffled a little leaning her head back, showing off her beautiful neck. She also had a few neat-looking tattoos that I couldn't help but stare at. The girl saw me staring and then giggled. Then she placed the wig carefully on a mannequin head on the nearby TV table.

My own mind was racing fast. I certainly wasn't going to turn this opportunity down, it had been a bit of a dry spell for me by that point. Still, I continued to feel out of my element. I mean it wasn't the first time a woman took me to a hotel room. On the one hand, I didn't want to say anything stupid and have her go cold and suddenly change her mind. Luckily she seemed to be taking charge, and I am used to aggressive partners....uh, kinda sorta. 


I remember she did grin when I undid my kilt and her original question was answered -- and no, I am not telling y'all if I was indeed "going regimental" or wearing my usual boxers. Nope, sorry folks, some things I don't tell, uncensored blog or not.

The only rule she laid down was no kissing because she didn't want her makeup to get ruined. I told her that I was okay with that, and I also told her that I don't go down unless I have plastic wrap -- I practice safe oral. She agreed, totally understanding the need to stay safe. I won't say if she did, or didn't, have plastic.


Another thing I won't tell are the specific details of sexual encounters, so if y'all expected something R-rated stuff here, then you're out of luck. This Southern boy doesn't share the details. The only thing that I will say that the next half hour, or so, was very nice.

Now before I go on, there is something important I want to share about the experience. At no point did I spend any of that time living out any sort of weird fantasy about being with the character from the anime show -- considering that her cosplay character is a high school student that would have been totally weird and totally gross on a couple of major levels.
Then entire time I spent there in that room, I didn't see my partner as anything other than a very real, very beautiful and mature younger woman who, for whatever reason, was willing to spend time with an older and slightly overweight anime nerd in a kilt. As for what was going through her mind the whole time, that I cannot say for sure.
Yep, that sounds about right.
(Comic courtesy of Toonhole.com.)

Now I do confess that at one point during the time spent, I did kinda zone out. Having autism means that my mind is constantly wandering, and yes unfortunately that tends to happen during sex too. She did ask me quietly and with some concern at one point if I was okay. I just nodded and we continued. I honestly can't remember exactly what I was thinking of when that happened, and though I never asked about it later, I hope my partner didn't think I zoned out because I wasn't mentally in the zone, or something.  


I remember one thing did happen at one point. Her phone went off startling both of us. It was one of her friends texting her. We paused a minute while she texted back, and then laughed over the whole thing.

Afterwards, the two of us lay there catching our breath -- she managed before I did -- and I started to talk. I'm really into pillow talk and cuddling afterwards, or between rounds. We only talked a few minutes.


It was at this point that she got up, stretched in front of the still open window completely nude, and began dressing back into her cosplay outfit and wig. She looked back at me smiling and said she had a good time, but had to get back downstairs to her friends. She told me she had to lock the door back, kinda kicking me out of bed playfully. I also helped her zip her costume back up, kissing her back and neck as I did so -- the only kissing that didn't break her rule.

I have to say this is the part where things became a bit of a downer. I mean sure I knew this wasn't going to be anything serious, and I certainly wasn't looking for that. All the same, I am used to the other person staying around for a bit, maybe even watching a movie and cuddling awhile? Certainly another round or two? Also I am the kind of guy who likes to buy a partner food and hang out a little before saying our goodbyes.

Despite having an all-too-brief bit of fun, I did end up feeling a bit like I was being used and then sent on my way. Still, I did remember that there was a presentation starting about twenty minutes from then that I did travel all that way up there to see and a well known voice actor whose autograph I really wanted.  


After getting dressed and finishing my Cherry Dr. Pepper, the two of us left the room and went back downstairs in the elevator. She didn't talk much, but she did grin at me and say that she had a good time and flattered me saying I was pretty good. I took it at face value, though I wonder if it was just her way of kinda apologizing for no cuddles. 

I did ask her one final thing though. "Um, do you do this sort of thing often?" 

Her response was to rest her back against the glass wall of the elevator, hands on the rail and leaning her head back -- sorta striking an actual Sailor Moon pose -- and said, "Not really. I just happen to find kilts sexy." The elevator door opened and a group of Fursuiters were waiting to go up. The Sailor Moon Girl just looked over at me, smiled and said, "Thanks, big guy." Then she left disappearing behind a wall of blue and black fur. 

About two hours later, after getting a couple of autographs and seeing the folks I came to see; I was about to leave the convention when I passed by that same group of women. They saw me and giggled. The Sailor Moon cosplayer gave me a warm smile (which I returned along with a small wave) and then she turned back to her friends. 

I thought about going over to her and trying to talk about, well, anything. Then I thought better of it and left Ichibancon9, having experienced far more than I came to do, something that was totally unexpected and still kinda surreal to me even now.


Aftermath & Public Service Message


Overall, I have to say that I have mixed feelings about anime con quickies.
 


On the one had I did get laid, and the sex was pretty good. On the other hand the situation was very impersonal, more so than I'm normally used to -- she didn't even tell me her actual name.

In that regard the situation was less than satisfying for me personally. Not to diminish what I experienced and shared with someone who was both beautiful and very nice about the whole thing, but as I said before, I like getting to know people I share those intimate moments with.


One time I spend most of the night with a female partner who talked to me about various topics and in turn listened to me talk about similar things for a couple hours as we lay in bed holding each other. You know, its kinda weird how much you can open up to someone on just about any given topic, or personal detail after you've made love to them. In a way learning intimate details about someone for me is almost as fun as being intimate with them physically.

Then again I didn't exactly go to Ichibancon9 expecting to have a young cosplayer woman take me up to her room and jump my bones either. I went to have fun, get autographs, enjoy the outstanding cosplayers, and pick up a few souvenirs. Not to mention get photos of the trip for this blog.

Now would I let something like that happen again -- assuming there was more than a very narrow chance it would? Probably wouldn't know unless it did.
Like the question of what I wear (or don't wear) under my kilt, the answer depends largely on the situation and who is asking. In my case I was fortunate that I had a partner who didn't seem to have an ulterior motive, or sought to take advantage of me for reasons other than those stated above, or wanted to harm me in any way.

As I said before I was lucky this situation happened with a partner who genuinely seemed to just want to pass some time having some naughty fun with me -- a fact that I am still trying to wrap my head around. At no point did I ever feel I was in danger with my partner, or that I would end up an urban legend waking up in a bathtub full of ice missing a kidney. All the same if I'd been offered a drink from an open container, or something, I probably would have declined the offer and left the room. I've read too many stories about a man or woman who was drugged by a potential one-night-stand and ended up either molested, robbed, accused of rape, or any combination of those.

I've actually had an experience like that in my past, and it was something that still stays with me to this day. I won't say what happened, but maybe I might in a future post.


Folks, I'm seriously not trying to scare anyone, but the situations I mentioned before about young men and women getting in trouble because of similar situations like this are real and something worth considering when having random hookups. It isn't up to me to tell you if you should, or shouldn't, engage in similar activities; but if you must, always be safe and practice safe sex, and above else always protect yourselves. Never let anyone put you in a position that will make you a victim.

Anyhow that was my true story of my first (and to date only) anime con quickie.

Let me know what you think of this story, and also, I'd be interested to know if any of y'all ever dealt with a similar situation. Please let me know in the comment section and as always, have a wonderful Dixie day, y'all! 


Blogger Update 04-13-2023!

The sequel to this Tale Of My Existence post is now available HERE. Be sure to check it out and give the special guest author your love. Thank you!

8 comments:

Princess Serenity said...

Hey guess who this is?
Wow, I can't believe I found this online! Its me your Sailor Moon girl from Ichibancon9. You wear a silver Claddagh on a chain and you have a scar on your right wrist. I have a tattoo on the inside of my left thigh that has the Japanese symbol of purity and a green butterfly on my shoulder. Also you kept kissing the small scar of my neck. Hee hee hee. Yep.
I don't know if you will post this or not but I when I read your story about our encounter at the con I wanted to clarify a few points. What you wrote was really sweet about how you felt about that afternoon. I was kinda nervous too because I don't really do that sort of thing. It was a first for me too. And I'm sorry we couldn't stay and cuddle more, i'm also really big on that. You were really sweet and treated me gently big guy. Also thanks for not giving the details. I kinda wrote about the whole thing also on reddit too, but don't worry I made you out to be a stud. Well you were so its not a lie. ;)
Also I need to confess something, I'm actually 30 years old. Sorry I fibbed about it. Guess being an older cosplayer kinda makes me selfconscious especially doing Sailor Moon who is like 14 and 15. Glad your not the kind of guy who goes for jailbait, god you wouldn't believe the sort of guys my friends have hooked up with online and met at these conventions. Some of them are REAL fucking pervs, especially guys who go as Furries. You just seemed really nice and I really DO have a thing for kilts.
I didn't know you had autism, but it does explain why you zoned out a couple times when we were going at it *Sorry I don't mean to be crude just saying*. No I never thought you were uninterested but I was concerned that you had a medical condition.
I saw you a couple times taking pics and I really loved the kilt and the way you pulled it off. The idea of taking you up to the room was purely spur of the moment. My friend Kaylin had the condoms in her bag and it just sort of happened on the spot. I admit I was scared a little but you never made me feel like you would hurt me. Like I said you were very sweet and good in bed too. ;) Oh god I'm blushing writing that!
Anyway I just wanted you to know that when I read your blog post and about your own anxieties and how you deal with sex it really touched me. I'm a shy introvert too most times. That day I just decided to be brave kinda like Sailor Moon. LOL! I'm glad I did and that we shared that experience together. Thanks for what you wrote and for not giving out "THE DETAILS" hee hee hee.
Your a really chill dude (for an older guy, LOL!) and I really like your blog. Not really a big Civil War person but I like how you set things up on your page and how you seem to care about your topics. If you don't mind I'll copy this post and keep it. I love the way you write and your photos are incredible.
I don't know if we will ever meet at another con since I live in Chicago (well just south of the city and I'm from Tennessee originally) and I was only visiting friends in the area. But if we ever run into each other again I'll take you up on that offer for food at the foodcourt. Can't promise another round since I now have an amazing boyfriend now. Sorry. I did have a major breakup before Ichibancon9, but please don't think that I used you to get over him I didn't. I'll sent you a link to my reddit page so you can read my account. Let me know what you think. Thank you for being really sweet and for opening up about how you felt.
Yours truly, Princess Serenity

C.W. Roden said...

Hey Princess Serenity.
Thank you for your message, I'm very glad to hear from you. I mean that.
First of all, I'm glad you like my post about Ichibancon9 and what happened there. I read the link on Reddit you sent me and really appreciated your views and perspective on the whole situation. I also liked how you described things -- and for also keeping it PG-13, LOL!
Yeah about the zoning out during the moment thing, my minds just wanders at times. Happens a great deal when I am trying to write something, and when I am doing everyday things. Thank you for being patient and your understanding about that.
Also you don't need to apologize for hooking up with me after having a break-up, it wouldn't be the first time I was the rebound guy LOL! Seriously though, I believe you and I am glad that you liked me and think I look good in a kilt.
Finally, I don't think you should be self-conscious about cosplaying Sailor Moon at 30. Plenty of people that age or older cosplay. I know a guy about my age who does the whole Jedi Lightsaber Guild thing. And I know girls in their late 20s who do the Attack On Titan cosplay thing. Personally I think you pulled off Sailor Moon really well I thought. I remember you telling me how you really want to do the Neo-Princess Serenity thing, and I know you can pull that off with the white and gold dress and wings.
Also for the record, thanks to you I will quite never listen to the Sailor Moon theme song the same way again, LOL!
Thanks for being awesome about everything and I hope things work out for you and your new boyfriend. If you ever want to talk about anything, you can find the link to my facebook page is on this blog. Send me a message sometime, could always use another friend. ~Carl

Princess Serenity said...

Hey there Cuddle Bear, its me Serenity again.
Hope you're well and having a good Christmas season. Got your reply last night and thought i'd write you back. Had a few things didn't get to say in my last message.
Com hookups can be pretty wild sometimes and people get in trouble, especially girls and women, and so can guys. Had a male friend get in trouble because he hooked up with a girl that later accused him of rape because she was a bitch. he was lucky cause the girl's friend had texts that proved she was lying. It's good that you brought that up and i'm glad you knew I wasn't going to do that I wouldn't. Like I said you were sweet with me and treated me like I was a princess, LOL like I really was Princess Serenity. :)
I'm glad you think id be a great Neo-Princess Serenity (and wow I think its awesome you remembered me telling you that BTW). I'm working on the new costume for that actually. Making the costumes yourself is a lot of hard work but really worth it in the end. Have a young niece and wish I could get her to be Sailor Chibi-Moon (Mini-Moon) she'd be perfect for it, but she's not into cosplay like me. She's also into Attack on Titan too, but I never got into that anime.
Oh yeah and my new boyfriend is incredible! We just celebrated our six months together the other day. He cosplays as Vegeta from DBZ and calls me his Bulma, LOL!
Thanks again for writing me back and for making my experience as Ichibancon9 very memorable ;).
Yours truly, Princess Serenity

C.W. Roden said...

LOL howdy again, Moon Princess!
Thanks again for your comments and replies. BTW congrats to you and "Vegeta" on six months! Oh and I think you could pull off Bulma from the DBZ Buu Series perfectly!
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, and even though I am also glad he was exonerated, I also know that sort of accusation will damage a person regardless. Some people are just cruel and thoughtless to the long-term consequences of such actions. Even worse, most times the people making the false claims never get in any real trouble for their actions, which only makes this sort of think keep happening.
LOL I have thought about cosplaying but can't really settle on a theme. That and I don't have the money to buy the stuff and the skill to make my own costume -- I'm a writer, not a seamstress, like say Sylvester Stallone in Demolition Man, LOL!
Anyway, again thanks for the review and your awesome words, Serenity. You truly are a superhero in my book, just want you to know that. ~ Your friend, Carl

PS Merry Christmas!

LordNephlite95 said...

Have you ever been sexually harassed wearing a kilt at a con?

C.W. Roden said...

Thankfully no, but I have witnessed people harass female cosplayers. Its a topic that I am going to bring up in future articles here on this blog.

Bradley Gooch said...

This almost happened to me at Animazement 2018. I was working as a volunteer and a girl who I took a picture of approached me. But because of the echoes in the convention center, I couldn't make out what she was asking me. Then she got called away. Few years later I realized what she was asking me. Pain. Could've lost my virginity there. I was always insecure about my looks but after that, I'm not longer worried about it. Maybe it'll happen again.

Anonymous said...

Wow where were girls like that when I went to anime cons?! Lucky!