Thursday, December 16, 2021

My Awesome Trip To Colorado (Day Two): Olive Garden & Bishop's Castle 11-05-2021

Yours truly, Alex & Roy in the tunnel at Bishop's Castle.
Photo taken by my sister-in-law's son, Bobby.

Welcome to day two of my series detailing my outstanding trip to Colorado visiting my two brothers and their family.

On the second day of my visit, we went to visit one of the more unique places in Southern Colorado -- Bishop's Castle in San Isabel National Forest

First we stopped over at Oliver Garden in Pueblo, Colorado for an outstanding lunch and a group photo which included yours truly, both my younger brothers Roy and Alex, Roy's wife Shanna, her brother, Scott, her son Bobby and daughter, Rebecca.

Olive Garden in Pueblo, Colorado.

My brother Alex and niece Rebecca.

Group photo at Olive Garden.
Left to right: Alex, Roy, Rebecca, Shanna, Carl, Scott, & Bobby.


Dig in!


The drive from Pueblo to Bishop's Castle took about an hour, along the way I took some more scenic photos of mid-fall foliage with the beautiful Rocky Mountains in the background.

Lake Isabel in San Isabel National Forest.

Bishop's Castle is an incredible roadside attraction located in south central Colorado on State Highway 165 in the Wet Mountains of Southern Colorado in the San Isabel National Forest, southwest of Pueblo, Colorado. The site is located just past Lake Isabel at an elevation of around 9,200 feet above sea level.

The castle is an ongoing construction project created by Mr. Jim Bishop and his wife, Phoebe, in 1972. For nearly half a century, Bishop has added towers, tunnels, winding staircases, intricate iron staircases, a massive great hall, and even a fire-breathing dragon to his roadside attraction. (Sadly the dragon didn't breathe fire while we were visiting). The tallest of the towers stands at approximately 160 feet.

It should be noted again that I'm not particularly fond of heights, but having made the journey with my family to the site, I felt the need to brave (nearly) all of the attractions.

The following are the photos I took of our time at Bishop's Castle. A few of the photos were taken by my sister-in-law, or my fellow tourists for group shots -- those are noted.

Bishop's Castle in the San Isabel National Forest in
Southern Colorado.
Alex, Bobby, & Rebecca posing for the camera.

Wooden bridge from one tower to the top of the cliff.

Roy climbing up the stone stairs of one tower.

Roy and Shanna waving from the ground at the
tunnel exit.

The new Joffrey.

The "fire breathing" dragon head.

Meet the Gargoyle Bros. LOL!
Photo taken by my sister-in-law, Shanna.


Roy posing on the iron walkway.

Bobby, Shanna, & Rebecca.

Group photo taken in the Great Hall.


Roy and Rebecca.

Alex playing it cool.

Alex is a very brave dude!

The dragon head seen from one of the towers.

Outstanding view taken from the top of one of the towers.
Your truly sitting on the staircase.
Bishop's Castle at nightfall.


Well folks, that concludes day two of my trip to Colorado. Please stay tuned for more.

No comments: