Monday, July 15, 2019

Revolutionary War Reenactment At Historic Brattonsville -- RIP Mike Scoggins

This blog post is dedicated to the honored memory
of Mr. Michael Charles Scoggins
(October 21, 1953 - March 4, 2019)
a good friend, historian, author, and fan of this blog.
You will be missed my friend.
(Photo taken by this blogger at Historic Brattonsville in July, 2018)


Greetings and Salutations, Y'all!

I had a very busy weekend indeed. On Saturday, July 13th, I went to Repticon (which y'all can read about in my previous blog post) and Sunday, July 14th, I once again traveled up to neighboring York County to visit Historic Brattonsville in McConnells, South Carolina for the annual American Revolutionary War reenactment.

On my way there I stopped just over the county line to rescue a juvenile Box Turtle crossing SC 321.


The previous day, Historic Brattonsville held their annual reenactment of the Battle of Huck's Defeat (Williamson Plantation) photos of which I took last year and can be seen HERE. Today's reenactment (which lasted about 15 minutes) was a recreation of the engagement at Flat Rock -- a small battle that took place on Thursday, July 20, 1780 in Kershaw County, South Carolina.


The following photos were taken by yours truly of the reenactment of the engagement at Flat Rock at Historic Brattonsville. Enjoy. 


Outdoor 18th century Presbyterian church service.
Cavalry demonstration.
African-Americans During The Southern Campaign
of the American Revolution presentation.
Found this little guy on one of the trails.
Children's Militia Drill.
Musket firing and artillery demonstration.
A close up I took of a beautiful dragonfly.
These were flying all over the place all morning.
The reenactment is ready to begin.


As always the reenactment was well done and the reenactors did an excellent job. The weather for the event was a bit muggy from the previous day's thunderstorms, but not really bad humidity for mid-July in South Carolina. Every once in awhile there was a good breeze, though my Hawaiian shirt was soaked through with sweat by the time I returned to my car and headed home. 

I hope y'all enjoyed my photos, please let me know in the comment section below. Until next time have a wonderful Dixie day, and y'all come back now, ya hear?

No comments: