Monday, July 03, 2023

General Wade Hampton's Cavalry Duel

General Hampton's Duel by artist Don Troiani.


On Friday, July 3, 1863, cavalry officer and Confederate Brigadier General Wade Hampton III, a native of South Carolina, found himself momentarily alone in a desperate fight for his life fending off saber blows from a Union cavalry counter-assault on the East Cavalry field at the Battle of Gettysburg (July 1-3, 1863). 

General Hampton had already been wounded the day before by a Union cavalry saber blow to the back of his head and was leading a charge of his cavalry brigade -- including his famous Hampton's Legion -- in an attack against Union positions behind Cemetery Ridge in an attempt to coordinate with Confederate Lieutenant General James Longstreet's attack on the Union center that afternoon -- later known to American history as "Pickett's Charge" after Confederate Major General George Pickett who was tasked to lead the assault. 

General Hampton led the cavalry attack east of Gettysburg, attempting to disrupt the U.S. rear, but collided with Union cavalry. During the confusion of the battle, Hampton would find himself nearly separated from his men and fighting off an assault by Union cavalrymen surrounding him. In this duel, he would receive two more saber cuts to the front of his head but managed to extract himself from the duel and continued fighting until he was again wounded with shrapnel to the hip.

Colonel Laurence S. Baker would assume command of Hampton's Brigade after the injury. Hampton was carried back to Virginia in the same ambulance as Major General John Bell Hood. Hampton would make a full recovery, although wounds from Gettysburg were slow to heal, so he would not return to duty until November of 1863 -- by which time he'd been promoted to the rank of Major General.

The following is the actual report of Hampton's duel submitted to by Brigadier General Wade Hampton III on August 13, 1863
to Major Henry Brainerd McClellan while recovering from his wounds at his home in Columbia, South Carolina.

Major [H. B.]McCLELLAN,
Assistant Adjutant-General.

MAJOR: I avail myself of the first opportunity at which I am able to do so, to send in a report of the part taken by my brigade during the battle of Gettysburg. The previous operations of the brigade shall be embodied in a subsequent report as soon as I am well enough to make it out. I send the present report, as I deem it important that it should go in at the earliest moment.

The brigade was stationed on July 2, at Hunterstown, 5 miles to the east of Gettysburg, when orders came from General Stuart that it should move up, and take position on the left of our infantry. Before this could be accomplished, I was notified that a heavy force of cavalry was advancing on Hunterstown, with a view to get in the rear of our army. Communicating this information to General Stuart, I was ordered by him to return, and hold the enemy in check. Pursuant to these orders, I moved back, and met the enemy between Hunterstown and Gettysburg. After skirmishing a short time, he attempted a charge, which was met in front by the Cobb Legion, while I threw the Phillips Legion and the Second South Carolina as supporting forces on each flank of the enemy. The charge was most gallantly made, and the enemy were driven back in confusion to the support of his sharpshooters and artillery, both of which opened on me heavily. I had no artillery at this time, but soon after two pieces were sent to me, and they did good service. Night coming on, I held the ground until morning, when I found that the enemy had retreated from Hunterstown, leaving some of his wounded officers and men in the village.

The Cobb Legion, which led in this gallant charge, suffered quite severely, Lieutenant-Colonel [W. G.] Delony and several other officers being wounded, while the regiment lost in killed quite a number of brave officers and men, whose names I regret not being able to give.

On the morning of July 3, I was ordered to move through Hunterstown, and endeavor to get on the right flank of the enemy. In accordance with these orders, the brigade passed through the village just named, across the railroad, and thence south till we discovered the enemy. I took position on the left of Colonel Chambliss, and threw out sharpshooters to check an advance the enemy were attempting. Soon after, General Fitz. Lee came up, and took position on my left. The sharpshooters soon became actively engaged, and succeeded perfectly in keeping the enemy back, while the three brigades were held ready to meet any charge made by the enemy. We had for the three brigades but two pieces of artillery, while the enemy had apparently two batteries in position.

In the afternoon (about 4.30 o'clock, I should think), an order came from General Stuart for General Fitz. Lee and myself to report to him, leaving our brigades where they were. Thinking that it would not be proper for both of us to leave the ground at the same time, I told General Lee that I would go to General Stuart first, and, on my return, he could go. Leaving General Lee, I rode off to see General Stuart, but could not find him. On my return to the field, I saw my brigade in motion, having been ordered to charge by General Lee. This order I countermanded, as I did not think it a judicious one, and the brigade resumed its former position: not, however, without loss, as the movement had disclosed its position to the enemy.

A short time after this, an officer from Colonel Chambliss reported to me that he had been sent to ask support from General Lee, but that he had replied my brigade was nearest and should support
Chambliss’ brigade. Seeing that support was essential, I sent to Colonel Baker, ordering him to send two regiments to protect Chambliss, who had made a charge (I know not by whose orders), and who was falling back before a large force of the enemy. The First North Carolina and the Jeff. Davis Legion were sent by Colonel Baker, and these two regiments drove back the enemy; but in their eagerness they followed him too far, and encountered his reserve in heavy force.

Seeing the state of affairs at this juncture, I rode rapidly to the front to take charge of these two regiments, and, while doing this, to my surprise I saw the rest of my brigade (excepting the Cobb Legion) and Fitz. Lees brigade charging. In the hand-to-hand fight which ensued, as I was endeavoring to extricate the First North Carolina and the Jeff. Davis Legion, I was wounded, and had to leave the field, after turning over the command to Colonel Baker. The charge of my brigade has been recently explained to me as having been ordered by Captain Barker, assistant adjutant-general, who supposed that it was intended to take the whole brigade to the support of Colonel Chambliss--a mistake which was very naturally brought about by the appearance of affairs on the field.

Of what occurred after I gave up the command, I am, of course, ignorant; nor can I state the casualties of my command. I am now only able to give a brief and bare statement of the part taken by my brigade in the battle of July 3, showing how it became engaged.

The disposition I had made of my command contemplated an entirely different plan for the fight, and beyond this disposition of my own brigade, with the subsequent charge of the First North Carolina and the Jeff. Davis Legion, I had nothing whatever to do with the fight.

I am, major, very respectfully, yours,

WADE HAMPTON,
Brigadier-General.

No comments: