Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Silver In The City Airstreamers Gathering In York, South Carolina



On my trip to SC Comicon last weekend my travels once again took me through the small town of York, South Carolina, where I discovered a very interesting little gathering of Airstream enthusiasts.

Hosted by the Palmetto State Airstream Club Unit #22, the Silver in the City event is an annual gathering of Airstream lovers that takes place in York every year since 2019.

The first Airstream travel trailer was built in 1929 by Mr.
Wally Byam who began building trailers out of Masonite in his backyard in Los Angeles. Two years later in 1931 he founded the Airstream company.

The Airstream caravan travel trailers and recreational vehicles are easily recognized by the distinctive shape of its rounded and polished aluminum shells. Airstream travel trailers have been an icon of the American highway since the 1930s and continues to be home for thousands of American and European travelers.

The following are the photos I took from my brief stopover at the event.




Walking among these amazing retro-looking campers and trailers made me feel like I'd walked back in time to some classic 1950s sci-fi film. At to that the picturesque old-Southern town of York, South Carolina as a backdrop, and this proved to be quite the interesting little diversion indeed.

No comments: