Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Brown Thrashers In My Backyard

Hello bird lovers!

Since the start of the summer months, these lovely Brown Thrashers (
Toxostoma rufum) have been seen in my back yard digging through the grass, taking dirt baths in various patches of loose soil, and occasionally actually eating from my feeder. I've counted at least one adult and one juvenile since mid-July.

Brown Thrashers are a part of the family Mimidae, which also includes mockingbirds. They can be found throughout eastern and central North America in the eastern and central United States
and southern and central Canada east of the Rocky Mountains.

These lovely birds live year-round in my home state of South Carolina and the rest of the American Deep South. The Brown Thrasher is also the official state bird of the State of Georgia.


Here are some of the photos I've taken since mid-July and early August of the pair that visit my back yard.

Juvenile Brown thrasher dust bathing.
This helps birds to rid mites and excess feathers during molting.


No comments: