Saturday, January 13, 2024

A Flock Of American Goldfinches & A Bold Carolina Chickadee



Today, I wanted to present more photographs I recently took of some of the beautiful birds that came to feed in my backyard very recently.

This morning, a small family of American Goldfinches (Spinus tristis) came to eat from my bird feeder, along with one very determined Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis) that appeared for quick bites before being driven off by the greedy Goldfinch flock.

In the non-breeding season (winter) the bright golden colors of the male American Goldfinch fades to the same dull yellow-gold colors of the female. None-the-less, these birds are still lovely to behold.

The following are the photos I took of these beautiful creatures.




Soon the Sparrows left and the little Carolina Chickadee was able to stick around and eat in peace. Both the Chickadees and the Goldfinch are small birds, about four to five inches long at full growth.



I hope y'all enjoyed my photographs of some of our native birds here in South Carolina and the American South. As always its my pleasure to present them to y'all.

Have a wonderful Dixie Day.


No comments: