Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Night Sky Photography -- 12-28-2022 -- Mercury & Venus Conjunction In Southwestern Sky

Good evening fellow stargazers!

Well my friends, the year 2022 AD is just about over and this one is going to be my final planetary/night sky photography of the year.

Oh don't worry, there will be plenty more outstanding photographs of the planets, stars, and heavenly events appearing in the sky dome over my corner of South Carolina coming up next year as well. Our beautiful night sky never fails to offer something wonderful if you know where to look for it.

For my final planetary photography of the year, its only fitting that the following shots take place just after sunset in the southwestern sky where I was able to capture two lovely photos of the conjunction of the inner planets Mercury and Venus.




As you can see tiny Mercury is about 1.4 degrees northeast of Venus (about three full moons apart) appearing about 35 minutes after sunset.

Mercury and Venus will remain close on Thursday, December 29th also, but they won’t be this close again until 2024 and then they’ll be too close to the sun to see without a telescope and a filter, so try not to miss it tomorrow night if y'all want to see it for yourselves.

Well, I hope that y'all enjoyed my photographs, and not just the ones today. Its my pleasure to post these humble night sky offerings and share my love for amateur astronomy to you my readers and fellow night sky enthusiasts across this wonderful world of ours. I hope to be able to continue to do so for a long time to come.

Until next time I want to wish all of y'all a very Happy New Year!


No comments: