Wednesday, June 02, 2021

Taking The Buzzfeed Privilege Test -- With Surprising Results!

 
Greetings and Salutations, Y'all!

If I had a quarter for how many times over the last few years some internet troll has told me I should "check my privilege" then I would never have to worry about financial debts ever again.

Okay, I exaggerate just a bit, but at the very least it would have paid my household bills for the next month or two.

No kidding, especially when dealing with people on the internet who disagree with my on just about everything imaginable, the fallback line is often Why don't you check your privilege! Sometimes some ethnic and sexist epitaphs are thrown in for good measure.

Whenever I am confronted with this sort of behavior, I often times I ask myself "What 'privilege' they are referring to? I certainly don't feel privileged, or entitled to anything. I've certainly never had anything just handed to me, even as a child. I sure as hell don't have anything given to me now as a pseudo-adult.

So, like most denizens of the internet, I went to the source of all knowledge and opinion online -- Buzzfeed -- and found the Check Your Privilege Test.

This test is pretty straight-forward, answer all the questions that apply to you and then check the results. So I too the advise of all those over the years who challenged me to "check my (white/male/other) privilege" and the results....well, the results were pretty funny.

The following are the questions on the test, with the ones I answered that applied to me highlighted in red.

  1. Check off all the statements that apply to you.


And here are the official results of my Buzzfeed Privilege Test:



Well there y'all have it, I "checked me privilege" and found out that, at least according to Buzzfeed, I have no privilege at all. Very interesting indeed.

So next time someone asks you to "check your privilege" you tell them to take this test and challenge them to find out how privileged they are themselves. The results might be just as surprising.

Let me know what y'all think in the comments below, and if y'all take the test too, leave the results there as well. As always have a wonderful Dixie Day, and y'all come back now, ya hear!

No comments: