Sunday, June 02, 2019

RIP Tony Horwitz

Anthony Lander Horwitz
(June 9, 1958 - May 27, 2019)

This week I was saddened to hear of the passing of Pulitzer Prize-winning author and historian, Mr. Tony Horwitz.

Mr. Horwitz was best known as the author of several non-fiction books, including Confederates in the Attic for which he won the coveted Pulitzer Prize, and which I enjoyed....well, to a certain extent. 

While I cannot say that me and Mr. Horwitz were good friends, or anything, we did share some cordial moments over the last couple of years. We corresponded and met on a couple of private chats. I will say that he was always very respectful to me and what I brought to the discussion, even when he politely disagreed with my approach to certain key points. He would always listen to my personal stories and seemed to understand where I was coming from when it came to the defense of my Southern-Confederate historical heritage. 

He and I also shared a few good-natured jokes at the expense of a certain Black Confederate Denier from Texas a couple of years back. He was a man of good humor and someone I think could get along well with just about anyone.

I am not certain if he supported my views on their service, although I was thrilled to get a short, but positive review from him on my article Busting The Myth Of Black Confederate Denial: The Common Sense Defense Of Confederate Veterans Of Color (April 8th of this year). I was both surprised, and somewhat pleased that learn that he actually read my piece. It was dated May 17th in an e-mail to me and was likely one of the last things he probably reviewed before his passing. A part of me will always feel a bit of humility knowing that. 

Thank you, Tony Horwitz, may the Good Lord rest your soul.


"Death is a commingling of eternity with time; in the death of a good man, eternity is seen looking through time." ~Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

No comments: