Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Visiting Mad Monster Party Carolina 2019



Greetings and Salutations Horror Fans!

On Saturday, February 23rd, your favorite blogger found himself driving in the rain north on I-77 to Charlotte to attend Mad Monster Party Carolina 2019 at the Hilton Charlotte University Palace Hotel.  

This was my second official visit to Mad Monster Party since my last visit in Rock Hill in March of 2017.

Mad Monster Party is a Horror, Sci-Fi and Fantasy themed convention that brings the world's top genre celebrities and vendors together with their fans to trade stories, attend informative panels, buy autographs and outstanding merchandise. 

Y'all know by now how much I despise driving in Charlotte (or any other major city) especially in the rain. But the trip was well worth it, despite a couple of small issues and one major disappointment -- I was unable to get the autograph of the person I really wanted to meet: Bruce Campbell, the star of the Evil Dead movies and one of my all-time favorite cult classics Army of Darkness

The line to see Mr. Campbell was literally out the door and around several hallways. As y'all know I never attend conventions for more than four hours, or so, largely due to my autism issues with noise and huge crowds, and standing in line for hours to get an autograph isn't good for my bad knees either. Even worse I was unable to get close enough to get a decent photo of the guy. Dammit!

Oh well, I was able to get some other autograph from some really outstanding actors and actresses in attendance -- including an really awesome autographed Jason Vorhees hockey mask signed by the man himself, Mr. Kane Hodder! I was in line for a half hour to see him, and it was worth the wait. 

Fortunately I did arrive early enough that I did not have to wait in long lines to see other really great actors and actresses. I added at least six new autographs to my growing collection. All of them were truly marvelous folks that I enjoyed meeting and talking to, if only too briefly. 

The convention became crowded really quickly and there were several times I had to go outside -- claustrophobia is a real bitch! the noise levels were about what I expected and was able to deal with this time around with no problems. Everyone was really friendly, and the cosplayers were outstanding as always. 

The following are the photos I took of the event:

Yours truly meeting horror actor Mitch Pileggi.
He played Horace Pinker in Shocker, Walter Skinner on
The X-Files
, Colonel Steven Caldwell on Stargate Atlantis.

Yours truly with WWE Hall of Famer and former
World Wrestling Federation Champion
The Iron Sheik.
Yours truly with WWE Hall of Famer and former
World Wrestling Federation Champion
SGT Slaughter.
Sarge put me in the Cobra Clutch.
Yours truly with actor Eugene "Big Daddy" Clarke
from George A. Romero's Land of the Dead (2005).
Yeah, we kinda blinded a few folks with the glare, LOL!
Okay, okay! Jeez!!! LOL!
Yours truly with actor Sid Haig, best known as
Captain Spalding from the Rob Zombie films
The Devil's Rejects (2005) and
House of 1000 Corpses (2003).
Yours truly with actress Adrienne Barbeau.
She is famous for her roles in Swamp Thing (1982),
Creepshow (1982), and the voice of Catwoman in
Batman: The Animated Series (1992-1995).





There he is, the man himself -- Mr. Kane Hodder.
Jason Vorhees from four of the Friday the 13th films.
Thank you sir!
Artwork and autograph of horror actor David Howard
Thornton portraying his character Art The Clown
from the 2017 film Terrifier. Poor Daphne!
Yes they float. They allllll float....
Feed me Seymour....uh, I mean Carl!
No I checked, it didn't come in a size 14.
My two favorite cosplayers!
Jack and Sally from Tim Burton's
The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993).
Yours truly with the actress Danielle Harris,
famous for her roles in several horror films
including the Halloween films, the teenage daughter
in The Last Boy Scout (1991), and as the voice of
Debbie Thornberry from the Nickelodeon animated
series The Wild Thornberrys.
Oh man, I'm so screwed!
Actually these two were pretty awesome, though they didn't
say much.

Aside from not getting Bruce Campbell's autograph, I had a great time hanging out with fellow fans. I also received several complements on my official Svengoolie glow-in-the-dark t-shirt. 

Looking forward to my next fan convention -- mostly because I finally plan to cosplay for the event! Yes folks, I have a great idea for who I will go to this year's South Carolina Comic Con in Greenville as....but for that y'all will just have to wait and see. 

Till then, Have A Wonderful Dixie Day, and y'all come back now, ya hear?

No comments: