Friday, August 28, 2026

Hummingbirds In My New Backyard Feeder

The beautiful Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)
is a frequent visitor to the Carolina Piedmont during the spring and
summer months.

 

Greetings and salutations, fellow birdwatchers!

About the end of June I purchased a new hummingbird feeder to add to my backyard feeders in the hopes of capturing some good shots of these wonderful little backyard beauties.

Hummingbirds (
Trochilidae) are fast, agile little birds native to the Americas with about 375 different species. They have wings that rotate and beat at a rate of about a whopping 50 to 80 times a second which allow these birds the ability to hover in a helicopter-type fashion. This gives them their name because of the pulsing sound of their fast wings which sound similar to a steady humming.

These little feathered beauties are a pleasure to spot and listen to on a warm summer afternoon with the window open.

Over the course of the month of July and August, I was able to capture these shots of various species of hummingbirds, including the beautiful Ruby-throated Hummingbird
(Archilochus colubris) which is a frequent visitor to the Carolina Piedmont and Appalachians during the spring and summer months.

Capturing these photos was not easy since these little critters are really fast and half of the photos I managed to get were a bit blurry. These were the best photos I took of these beautiful birds.



Hopefully I will have more photos of these little lovelies before the arrival of autumn here in my little corner of Dixie. I hope you enjoyed my photos as much as I enjoyed taking them and posting them here for y'all.

No comments: