Saturday, March 16, 2024

Night Sky Photography -- 03-11/13/14-2024 -- The Moon & Jupiter Over Three Nights

Greetings & Salutations fellow stargazers!

Last week over the course of several evenings, I was able to photograph the progression of the Moon rising in the western sky to meet with, and pass by, the planet Jupiter an hour after sunset. These photos were taken over the course of the evenings of March 11th, 13th, and the 14th -- cloud cover prevented me from capturing any photos on the evening of the 12th.

The first photos taken on the evening of Monday, March 11th show a very young crescent moon just above the treetops with Jupiter high overhead, as well as a close-up shot of the beautiful crescent moon.



The next photos taken on the evening of Wednesday, March 13th show the meeting between our lovely Luna and Jupiter in the evening shy. I used the tree in my backyard to frame the shot, which came out beautifully if I do say so myself.

A close up shows the line of Jupiter's own largest moons: Io, Callisto, Ganymede, and Europa as faint but still visible dots.



Earlier the same evening before the sunset I was able to capture these outstanding photos of a pair of passenger jets flying past the crescent moon in the clear evening sky with the sunset reflecting off them. 



The last photos were taken on the evening of Thursday, March 14th showing Luna passed Jupiter and meeting the Pleiades Star Cluster in the evening sky. The wide shot shows the distance the Moon has traveled from just the evening before from Jupiter and its position just below the Seven Sisters and the nearby Hyades Star Cluster. The close-up of the Moon and the Pleiades shows all the major stars of the cluster beautifully.



I hope y'all enjoyed my photos as I enjoy presenting them to y'all. Have a wonderful day and be sure to keep your eyes to the night skies, ya hear!

No comments: