Thursday, June 08, 2017

Night Sky Photography -- 06-08-2017 -- The Full Strawberry Moon

This evening I had to travel to town for pet food and a few last minute items to completely my late supper. It was sundown by the time I was on my way back and saw this Luna rising in all of her full glory in the east through my windshield. 

I pulled over and got my camera out to get this magnificent shot just before the cloud cover could obstruct the view. 



The June full moon is known in the Northern Hemisphere as the Full Strawberry Moon. It is also the smallest full moon of the year as it occurs less than one day after reaching lunar apogee -- the moon’s farthest point in its monthly orbit. The near alignment of full moon and lunar apogee team up to give us the farthest and smallest full moon of the year. 


Luna will reach her apogee on the evening of Friday, June 9th when she will team up in the night sky with the faint wanderer, Saturn in the east after sunset.  

God willing if there are clear skies, I will get a couple of shots of the small Strawberry Full Moon and Saturn as they rise over the treetops.

Hope you enjoyed my photo, and as always keep your eyes to the night skies, y'all.

No comments: