Tuesday, December 29, 2015

RIP Lemmy Kilmister (1945 - 2015)


English rock musician Ian Frasier "Lemmy" Kilmister, best known as the hard living lead vocalist and bass guitarist for the heavy metal rock band Motorhead, died today after a short battle with aggressive cancer. 

Lemmy was born on December 24, 1945 in Burslem, Staffordshire, England, UK and died on December 28, 2015 in Los Angeles, California, USA. He was 70 years old. 

Though being more of a Straight Edge person, I did not share his particular hard living lifestyle, I did hold Mr. Kilmister - a dude so cool he only needed one name: Lemmy - and the music he helped write and produce in high regard and respect the man himself as an artist. 

Motorhead and their music were classics when I was growing up and remain popular with me to this day. I have several fond memories of his songs, including many from the album Ace of Spades, which hold a particularly personal adolescent memory for me about an amazing girl I once knew all too briefly one summer just after turning sixteen - sadly she died four years later after dealing with a particularly hard life. Whenever I listen to that album, I am reminded of her memory and the good times we managed to share. 

Thank you Lemmy for your amazing work, for bringing joy and the gift of music and good memories to millions worldwide with your band mates. May you rest in peace, sir.




RIP AND ROCK ON LEMMY!

Also, in loving memory of my dearest Ashleigh. 
You were my first and I'll never forget you, or your beautiful soul.

No comments: