Thursday, September 07, 2017

Night Sky Photography - 09-06-2017 - The Full Corn Moon (Not the Harvest Moon)



With an overcast sky and a possibility of thunderstorms, I wasn't certain that I would be able to get a good shot of the September full moon. Though I was unable to get a photo of the moonrise just after dusk, I was able to get a great shot through the fork of a tree in my backyard with the clouds giving Luna a nice little background. 

Now many of y'all might recall that last year at this time I managed to get a couple of shots of what was then the September Harvest Moon which can be seen HERE.  

This year however, the September full moon is not the Harvest Moon in the Northern Hemisphere as last year's was and next year's will be. 

The Harvest Moon is actually the full moon closest to the autumn equinox on September 22nd according to the most widely accepted definition of the term. Since the full moon of October 5th will be closer to the September equinox this year, the October 2017 full moon will be the Harvest Moon.
 
Whenever the September full moon is not the Harvest Moon in North America it is commonly referred to as the Corn Moon, or the Fruit Moon.

I hope y'all enjoyed my photo of the Full Corn/Fruit Moon and as always keep your eyes to the skies, y'all! 

No comments: