Mission Of This Blog


The overall mission statement of this blog is to share many unique topics of this blogger's interest; promoting though education the uniquely positive values of Southern history, heritage, and cultural identity. Topics include (but are not limited to):
Southern Cultural Heritage, Local History of the South Carolina Upstate, Confederate Heritage Preservation & Awareness, Americana, Nature & Wildlife Preservation, Science & Science Fiction, Astronomy & Night Sky Photography, Literacy & Writing, Travel & Local Places Of Interest, Southern Cuisine, Popular Culture & Philosophy, Classic Animation Nostalgia, Fandom ....as well as various other topics explained from the blogger's point of view. The following website contains the UNCENSORED thoughts and opinions of a Southern-born country writer from upstate South Carolina - the living, beating heart of the great American Southland! Please enjoy and feel free to post comments, or contribute to this blog in any meaningful way.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

The Epic Autumn Day With My Sister's Boys -- Part One: HILLarity In Chester

On Thursday, October 13th of this year, my sister's youngest son, Caleab Morris celebrated his 11th birthday. 

As sort of a late birthday gift for him, and a chance to spend a fun day with both my sister's kids -- my little buddies -- I planned out a somewhat busy, but activity-packed days for them to enjoy. 

The third and fourth weekends in October are a particularly activity-filled time in this part of upstate South Carolina. Finding several things going on at once -- more importantly activities that I could financially afford to take myself and two young boys to -- was not all that hard. 

After spending the night at my house watching scary movies and Pixar stories -- and yes playing video games -- my nephews and I set off to the first of a three-part activity planned day.

Out first stop, the annual HILLarity Festival in downtown Chester. 

The HILLairty Festival has been a fixture in historic downtown Chester, South Carolina for over 20 years every third weekend in October and draws around 20,000 visitors annually. There are many amazing attractions -- including a classic car show; something both myself and my oldest nephew, Tyler have in common is a weakness for classic cars.

We arrived there just before 10 AM and set out to find something for them to do. I gave each of them $20 to enjoy themselves with. We were met by quite a crowd in several places. Despite my usual anxieties over loud noises and large crowds, I had little trouble holding out in some places and focusing on letting my sister's boys enjoy themselves. 


Tyler & Caleab Morris at the famous Aaron Burr Rock in downtown Chester.

The boys had a really good time for the hour-and-a-half that we attended the festival. But soon they ran out of the money I gave them and we had to move on to the next part in the three-part Epic Autumn Day In October

Stay tuned for the second part of this three-part adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment