Friday, October 16, 2015

Night Sky Photography -- 10-15-2015 -- All Five Wanderers In One Day!

I was quite fortunate that the weather conditions were optimal to get two great pictures with all five "wandering stars" - a term used in ancient times to describe the five planets of our solar system visible to the human eye from the surface of the Earth: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.

The first group I took after taking a twenty-minute drive from my home to nearby Richburg, SC where I was able to capture the first four in the eastern sky. I had to find a nice open place where I could capture little Mercury on the horizon racing the sunrise. Jupiter and Mars are also closer to a planetary conjunction where they will appear to only be a few degrees apart.

Eastern sky half an hour before sunrise, Thursday, October 15, 2015.

For the second photograph, I had to wait about 40 minutes after sunset in the lower southwestern sky to get a good shot of the crescent moon and Saturn just over the treetops.


Southwestern sky forty minutes after sunset. Thursday, October 15, 2015.

No comments: